SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – The Texas Men’s Golf team posted a 3-2-0 victory against Oklahoma State in the quarterfinals and followed with a 3-1-1 win over top-seed Vanderbilt in the semifinals on Tuesday during the NCAA Championship at Grayhawk Golf Club. With the two wins, the Longhorns advance to face tournament host Arizona State in the NCAA Championship match on Wednesday, June 1 at 3:35 pm Central (1:35 pm Pacific).
This marks UT’s fourth appearance in the NCAA Championship match since the NCAA adopted the current match-play format in 2009. Texas previously made NCAA Match Play Championship appearances in 2012 (beat Alabama, 3-2), 2016 (lost to Oregon, 3- 2) and 2019 (lost to Stanford, 3-2). Texas has won three NCAA team championships in men’s golf (1971, 1972 and 2012) entering tomorrow’s final.
In Tuesday’s morning quarterfinal contest against Oklahoma State, the Longhorns received wins from Parker Coody (3 & 2) and Cole Hammer (3 & 2) prior to the clinching point from Mason Name (2-up). During the afternoon semifinal match against Vanderbilt, Texas used victories from Hammer (4 & 3) and Travis Vick (4 & 3) prior to the clinching point from Pierceson Coody (3 & 2) to punch its ticket to the championship final.
Golf Channel will provide live national coverage of the championship match from 4-8 pm Central (2-6 pm Pacific).
“It has been a long road,” said Texas head coach John Fields. “You can ask any of our guys, it has been a long road since COVID in 2020 when the world stopped. That was a tumultuous time for everybody. It was tough on these guys. They were getting ready to play in a national championship and all of a sudden it was gone. Last year was even tougher. We got here and weren’t ready to play. We were exhausted. I wanted out guys to maximize what they could do. They did, I rolled the dice, and it didn’t happen for us. “
“This year, we refocused, and then the difficulties with the Coody’s in January, February, and March and it started in December,” Fields continued. “It just made us all the more appreciative about what we do. The other kids on our team got to play and see what they could do. In the meantime, those guys were working on so much. They came back with a vengeance and added to the energy that Travis (Vick), Mason (Nome) and Cole (Hammer) have. Now we are here. “
“Full circle from three years ago, that was a tough loss to Stanford but these guys have come a long way,” said Hammer. “We’ve been through a lot with Coody’s breaking their arms, really not having a set lineup and this postseason has been different. The guys have been so focused and we’ve all had our eyes on the prize, as cliche as it is , but it’s pretty fun to be a senior and have an opportunity like this tomorrow. It’s crazy to think I’ll only wear burnt orange for one more day, but I wouldn’t want to be wearing it on any other day than the national championship. ”
Quarterfinal Match Recap vs. Oklahoma State
- Senior Parker Coody earned a 3 & 2 victory over Bo Jin. Starting on the back nine, Jin took a 1-up lead with a birdie on 11. Coody evened the match on 13 and took the lead for good with a win on 16. He increased his margin to 2-up at 18, 3- up at 2 and 4-up at 4. Jin claimed a win on 6 to get back to 3-down, but Coody halved hole 7 to close out the match.
- Junior Travis Vick dropped a 2-up decision to Brian Stark. Vick took his only lead (1-up) on the opening hole (10), but Stark answered with a win on 11 to even the match. Stark claimed back-to-back holes on 14 and 15 to build a 2-up advantage, before Vick won 16 to climb back to 1-down. Stark increased his lead to 2-up with a win on 18. Vick earned a win on 2 and added a win at 6 to pull even through 15 holes. Stark won the 7th hole to take the lead for good and closed out the 2-up victory with a win on 9.
- Senior Cole Hammer registered a 3 & 2 victory over Aman Gupta. Gupta grabbed a 1-0 advantage with a win on 11, before Hammer answered with back-to-back wins on 14 and 15 to take a 1-up lead. Hammer increased his cushion to 2-up on 17. Gupta won 2 to climb back to 1-down, but Hammer responded with back-to-back wins on 3 and 4 to build a 3-up lead. The two players halved the next three holes, as Hammer closed out the 3 & 2 win.
- Senior Pierceson Coody dropped a 1-up decision to Eugenio Lopez-Chacarra. Chacarra won the 11th hole and added a win on 13 to build a 2-up margin. Coody won 15 to get to within 1-down, but Chacarra posted wins on 16 and 18 to increase his cushion to 3-up thru nine holes. Coody earned wins on 1 and 3 to close to within 1-down, but Chacarra won back-to-back holes at 4 and 5 to push the advantage to 3-up. Coody earned wins on 7 and 8 to trim the margin to 1-down, but the two players halved hole 9 to close out the 1-up victory for Chacarra.
- Junior Mason Name provided the clinching point with a 2-up victory against Jonas Baumgartner. Nome, who never trailed in the match, won the opening hole (10), before Baumgartner earned a win on 12 to tie the match. Nome claimed a win on 14, but Baumgartner won 15 to even the match again. Nome responded with wins on 16 and 18 to build a 2-up cushion thru nine holes. He increased his lead to 3-up with a win on 2 and 4-up with a win on 4. Baumgartner rallied to win holes 5, 6 and 7 to trim the lead to 1-up thru 16 holes. Both players made birdie putts on 8, before Nome earned a win on 9 to close out the 2-up victory.
Semifinal Match Recap vs. Vanderbilt
- Senior Cole Hammer claimed a 4 & 3 victory against Gordon Sargent. Hammer took a 1-up lead with a win on hole 3, before Sargent responded with back-to-back wins on 4 and 5 to grab a 1-up advantage. Hammer won hole 6 to even the match and took the lead for good with a win on 8. Hammer increased his margin to 2-up on 10, 3-up on 14 and closed out the 4 & 3 victory with a win on 15.
- Senior Parker Coody dropped a 1-up decision to William Moll. Coody took a 1-up lead with a win on hole 3, but Moll evened the match with a win on 7. Coody again grabbed a 1-up lead on 10, before Moll responded on the following hole (11) to tie the match . Moll took a 1-up lead with a win on 16 and halved the final two holes to finish his 1-up victory.
- Junior Travis Vick registered a 4 & 3 win over Reid Davenport. Vick won each of the first two holes to take a 2-up lead, before Davenport won hole 4 to pull within 1-up. Vick again won back-to-back holes at 7 and 8 to build a 3-up cushion. Davenport won hole 11 to trim the deficit to 2-up, but Vick answered by winning 12 to get back to 3-up. Vick then earned a win on 15 to close out the 4 & 3 victory.
- Moments after Vick finished off his win, senior Pierceson Coody provided the clinching point with a 3 & 2 victory against Cole Sherwood. Coody won each of the first two holes to take a 2-up lead, before Sherwood won hole 5 to pull to within 1-up. Coody claimed a win on hole 10 to build a 2-up cushion, and Sherwood won hole 13 to close to 1-up. Coody immediately responded by winning 14 and added a win on 16 to close out the 3 & 2 victory.
- Junior Mason Name halved his match against Harrison Oct. Oct won the opening hole and added a win on hole 5 to build a 2-up cushion. Name answered with a win on 6 to close to get back to 1-down. Name later won hole 10 to even the match. Ott won hole 13 to take a 1-up lead, but Nome won 16 to again square the match. The match was stopped while playing the 17th hole after Pierceson Coody clinched the team win for the Longhorns.