Salem golf club asks neighbors to pause housing development for $ 4.2M

Houses are seen as golfers play golf at Creekside Golf Club in Salem, Ore.  on Wednesday, June 1, 2022.

Creekside Golf Club is again asking an adjoining neighborhood to prop up its bottom line.

In return for an estimated $ 4.2 million, the club’s owners will pause plans to develop the property into housing for five years, according to a proposal sent to homeowners last week.

During the first year, 65% of the money raised would go toward deferred maintenance and infrastructure improvements at the golf club, such as replacing pond liners, upgrading the irrigation system and deferred pool maintenance. The remaining 35% would support salary increases for club employees. That funding allocation could vary in future years.

The 588 members of the Creekside Homeowners Association will vote on the plan on June 29.

Club has struggled for years

Creekside Golf Club is pictured among homes in the Creekside Estates neighborhood.

The plan is the latest in a series of controversial proposals to keep the struggling golf course open.

Creekside Golf Club and the Creekside Estates neighborhood were created by the same developer, but otherwise have no legal or financial connection.

But many club members live in the neighborhood, and those with golf course views have an interest in preventing development. Some residents said they bought their homes believing the golf course would always be there.

Leave a Comment