Thousands expected at Trump golf course in Bedminster NJ for pro tour

BEDMINSTER – About 8,000 people a day are expected to attend the professional LIV Golf tournament at Trump National Golf Club during the last week of July.

Announced in March, the LIV Golf Invitational Series, based in Saudi Arabia, has become a controversial alternative to the existing professional golf tours in the United States and Europe.

Backed by a $ 2 billion infusion to support its launch, LIV has been touting exorbitant purses totaling $ 255 million and guaranteed money to lure players to enter its events.

But many of the top professionals on the PGA Tour, including Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson and Justin Thomas, have said they will not join the LIV series.

Unlike most professional tournaments, the LIV tournaments will have only three rounds (54 holes) and 48 players in 12 four-man teams over three days. The typical professional golf tournament is four rounds (72 holes) with 150 players, no teams, over four days.

The LIV tournament will be a shotgun start, meaning the groups will start on different holes instead of all on the first tee.

The LIV Golf Invitational Series is coming to Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster this summer.

John Dolan, the event director, told the Bedminster Township Committee that a shotgun start allows for a “more compact” time frame for the play.

Dolan, who was the championship director for the US Women’s Open at Trump National in 2017, said that event attracted 20,000 over its tournament week.

Last year, after the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, the United States Professional Golfers Association decided to move its championship, one of golf’s four major championships, from Trump National to Tulsa.

Leave a Comment