NASHVILLE, Tenn. (June 19, 2022) – Nashville Soccer Club suffered its first home defeat since Nov. 4, 2020, on Sunday evening in a 2-1 loss to Sporting Kansas City in front of a crowd of 29,269 at GEODIS Park.
Nashville SC forward Aké Loba scored Nashville’s goal in the second half after attacking the net and jumping on a rebound. The Boys in Gold were initially awarded a penalty late in the second half to have an opportunity to tie the match, but after video review Alex Muyl was ruled offside prior to the foul.
Heck Of A Run: Nashville SC’s home unbeaten streak was snapped at 22 regular season matches, 25 across all competitions. The 22-match mark was tied with the Portland Timbers and Columbus Crew for the sixth longest streak in MLS history.
Hungry Like The Wolf: Loba scored his second goal tonight in four matches across all competitions this season, following his tally against Louisville City FC on May 25 in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.
National Spotlight: Nashville SC wraps up its stretch of three consecutive matches on national television this Saturday, June 25 on the road against DC United on ESPN and ESPN Deportes. Fans can also listen to the match on the official Nashville SC Mobile App, presented by GEODIS, the free iHeartRADIO app by searching Nashville SC for English and on all three El Jefe stations 96.7FM, 105.3FM and 810AM for Spanish.
SKC 41′: Felipe Hernández hits the bottom right corner on a long free kick unassisted for the opening goal
SKC 51′: Graham Zusi receives a pass from Rémi Walter and scores from outside the box on a left-footed goal
NSH 63′: With a deflection off the goalie, Loba finds the back of the net scoring from the top of the box
- Nashville SC:
- had their 25-home match unbeaten streak snapped, a stretched that lasted 593 days
- in its 25-match unbeaten streak the club out-scored its opponents 51-25
- is 5W-2L-3D in their last 10 matches across all competitions
- has completed its season series with Sporting Kansas City splitting the pair of matches
- out-possessed Sporting KC 60.9-39.1 this evening
- out-shot and had more shots on target than SKC
- will have two more road matches (June 25 at DC United in MLS Regular Season and June 29 at Orlando City SC in US Open Cup) before returning home to GEODIS Park on July 3 to face the Portland Timbers
- Finished week 15 in playoff position sitting three points clear of the red line with a 6W-5L-5D record and 23 pts.
- Aníbal Godoy wore the captain’s armband tonight
- Randall Leal returned to the lineup tonight making an appearance in the 76th minute
- Jack Maher led the team in shots (2), completed passes (74) and recoveries (11)
- Dax McCarty appeared in his 423rd career MLS Regular Season match
- Hany Mukhtar led Nashville SC in chances created tonight (3) and completed passes in the final third (12)
Nashville SC (6W-5L-5D, 23 pts.) vs. Sporting Kansas City (4W-9L-4D, 16 pts.)
June 19, 2022 – GEODIS Park
SKC: Felipe Hernandez 41′
SKC: Graham Zusi (Remi Walter) 51′
NSH: Aké Loba 63′ (Unassisted)
NSH: Anibal Godoy (caution) 40′
SKC: Tim Melia (caution) 81′
SKC: Johnny Russell (caution) 86′
SKC: Roger Espinoza (caution) 86′
NHS: Joe Willis, Daniel Lovitz, Dave Romney (Taylor Washington 64′), Jack Maher, Eric Miller (Randal Leal 76′), Hany Mukhtar, Alex Muyl, Aníbal Godoy © (Dax McCarty 64′), Tah Brian Anunga (Aké Loba 46 ‘), Sean Davis, CJ Sapong
Unused Substitutes: Ethan Zubak, Josh Bauer, Luke Haakenson, Elliot Panicco, Will Meyer
SKC: Tim Melia, Andreu Fontas, Nicolas Isimat, Graham Zusi, Logan Ndenbe, Felipe Hernandez, Cam Duke (Roger Espinoza 74′), Rémi Walter (Kortne Ford 80′), Johnny Russell © (Kayden Pierre 90 +5′), Khiry Shelton , Daniel Salloy
Unused Substitutes: Ben Sweat, Robert Voloder, Jake Davis, Kendall McIntosh, Marinos Tzionis, Kaveh Rad
Weather: Clear, 84 degrees