Irving, Texas – The Big 12 Conference has announced its 2022 Winter Scholar-Athletes of the Year. The following student-athletes have been selected as award winners for their respective sports based on a vote of each sport head coaching group.
2022 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year
David McCormack, Kansas, Sr., Norfolk, Va.
- Communication studies graduate who is pursuing a master’s in Digital Content Strategy with a 3.50 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Helped Kansas to a national title, averaging 10.6 points and 7.0 rebounds on the season.
- Earned 2022 All-Big 12 Third Team honors and is a three-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team selection (2020, 2021 and 2022).
2022 Big 12 Women’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Ayoka Lee, Kansas State, Jr., Byron, Minn.
- Major in Family Studies & Human Service with a 4.00 GPA and participated in 100 percent of this year’s contests.
- Consensus All-American who set an NCAA Division I single-game record with 61 points on January 23.
- Two-time CoSIDA Academic All-American and three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree (2020, 2021 and 2022).
2022 Big 12 Equestrian Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Ana Bertozzi, Fresno State, Jr., Leesburg, Va.
- Animal Science-Pre-Veterinary major with a 4.00 GPA and participated in every competition this season.
- Won six meets on fences with one MOP and was victorious five times on the flat.
- Two-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team selection (2021 and 2022).
2022 Big 12 Gymnastics Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Laura Cooke, Iowa State, Jr., Norwich, England
- Majoring in kinesiology and health with a 3.97 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Helped Iowa State reach the second round of the NCAA Regionals, scoring a 9.850 on bars and a 9.750 on floor at the meet.
- A two-time member of the Academic All-Big 12 First Team (2021 and 2022) plus was named WCGA Scholastic All-American.
2022 Big 12 Men’s Swimming & Diving Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Jake Foster, Texas, Jr., Cincinnati, Ohio
- Biology major with a 4.00 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Six-time All-American who helped the Longhorns to a runner-up finish at the 2022 NCAA Championship.
- Two-time CSCAA Scholar All-American and two-time member of the Academic All-Big 12 Team (2021, 2022).
2022 Big 12 Women’s Swimming & Diving Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Kate Steward, Kansas, Sr., Bartlesville, Okla.
- Elementary education major that holds a 4.00 GPA and 100 percent participation this season.
- Holds the Kansas school record in the 100 breaststroke and qualified to compete in three events at the 2022 NCAA Championships.
- Selected to the 2020-21 CoSIDA Academic All-District Team and is a two-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree (2021 and 2022).
2022 Big 12 Wrestling Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Clay Carlson, South Dakota State, Jr., Willmar, Minn.
- Earning a degree in animal science and pre-veterinary medicine with a 3.92 GPA and 100 percent participation.
- Placed third in the 141-weight class at the Big 12 Championship and was selected for the 2022 NCAA Championship.
- Named Big 12 Wrestling Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2021 and a three-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team honoree (2020, 2021 and 2022).
The Big 12 Conference established its Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award in 2012-13. A recipient is named in each conference-sponsored sport. Every Big 12 institution nominates one individual per sport with the winners selected by a vote of the league head coaches for that sport, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes. Scholar-Athlete of the Year nominees must be a junior or senior (athletic and academic standing), have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher, participate in at least 20 percent of the team’s scheduled contests and have a minimum of one year in residence at the institution.